Thursday, April 3, 2014

Research paper

For my research paper I plan to expand my first essay on my analytical response to the novel stitches. I want to explain the effects on children growing up with a mentally ill mother, and how mental illnesses can affect the parent’s ability to provide a good environment for their children. I plan on revising my stitches essay by proving that children dealing with a mentally ill mother have more life problems and face more discrimination. I plan to prove that not all children follow in the same footsteps as their parents. Some children with mentally ill mothers do not always end up with the same mental illness as their mother. I will prove that some children take a different route in life turning their bad situation into something good. In my first essay I discussed how David’s dysfunctional upbringing allowed him to undergo self discovery, and find his inner voice. With my research I want to discuss the difficulties with living with a mother suffering from a mental illness. I will talk about the neglect and abuse David went through due to his mother’s illness and careless mistakes. I will begin to expand my essay, but first I will need to revise the original stitches essay by fixing comma splices and run on sentences. 

          I found a couple of article one is the “Experiences of motherhood when suffering from mental illness” from the International Journal of Mental Health. I want to expand my stitches essay by explaining how difficult it is growing up with a mentally unstable parent. I will prove that David Small’s mother actions were caused by her untreated mental illness and her own dark past. I found a passage that would help support my statement it reads, “There is strong evidence that mothers with mental illness struggle with conflicting and distressing feelings, due to dual demands related to motherhood and the challenges of living with mental illness” (Abrams & Curran 2009; Rørtveit et al. 2010).

1 comment:

  1. It looks like you have a good start on gathering research materials.

    ReplyDelete